Another random issue I ran accross as I was installing Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 32 bit on an HP DL360 G5 server……Everything was going fine until the instatllion of SP2 decided to break name resolution and made the Windows update website not work. I could browse other sites fine. The scenario:
- Started with HP SmartStart version 8.2 and went through a normal OS load
- Logged in and downloaded SP2 from Windows update.
- It was at this time that windows update was broken.
- Started with HP SmartStart version 8.3 (downloaded from HP support) and went through a normal OS load
- Manually downloaded SP2 from MS and transferred that to the server when it was ready
- Applied SP2, and restarted
- Windows update website worked fine then, so I began the download of the other 80 some updates
- Half way through the installation of the updates, something went wrong and it stopped unexpectedly.
- Restarted, and Windows updates would not work
- Became skeptical of HP SmartStart, so I just used the OS installation media to install
- Applied the downloaded version of SP2 and restarted
- Windows update was broken again
After fighting with this for a while, I ran accross some information online with others that have had this same issue. All it took was disabling the DNS Client service on the server, and viola, name resolution was working again. I applied the rest of my updates, restarted and life was good. The DNS client ran automatically on startup and name resolution is still working fine as well.